In many cases, Medicare covers home healthcare! If you are homebound and meet the Medicare guidelines, you can receive in-home therapy, home health aide and visiting nurse services under your insurance plan.
An informative, Official Handbook is available to help you understand the guidelines and find the right home health care agency.
In this blog post we will introduce you to the Medicare Home Healthcare guidelines and link to important sections of the 32-page Official Medicare and Home Health Care Booklet.
Eligibility for Medicare Home Health Care
Any person receiving Medicare benefits can also receive in-home medical care under these general conditions:
- The patient is under a physician’s care and is homebound
- The doctor certifies that skilled nursing, physical therapy, speech-language pathology or occupational therapy is required
- The home healthcare agency is Medicare Certified
A patient is NOT eligible for home care if he or she needs more than part-time skilled nursing care.
Which Home Health Services are Covered Under Medicare?
The services listed here are typically covered if they are reasonable and necessary.
- Skilled nursing at home
- In-home physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Medical social services
- Medical supplies
Which Services are NOT Covered?
- 24-hour care
- Meal delivery
- When it is the only care needed: home-maker and home health aide services
Find a Home Health Care Provider
Choosing a Medicare-Certified Home Health Care Agency is required to receive Medicare-covered healthcare services at home. The agency must meet certain federal health and safety requirements, as well as have a staff trained to Medicare care specifications.
You may select any certified home health care agency in your area, but could be limited by the agency’s availability or by your specific Medicare coverage. It’s best to ask your agency what they can provide you under your plan before setting an appointment.
The Medicare website offers a great “Home Heath Compare” tool to help evaluate agencies in your area. It offers information about the agency, services offered and information about the quality of care they provide.
- You are guaranteed certain rights as a patient receiving care from a Medicare-Certified home health care agency.
- To get written notice of your rights before care starts
- To have your home and property treated with respect
- To be told in advance what care you will receive and when it is going to change
- To participate in your care planning and treatment
- To get written information about your privacy and appeal rights
- To have privacy of personal information
- To get written and verbal information about how much Medicare is expected to pay, and how much you will have to pay
- To make complaints about your care and have the agency follow up on them
- To know the phone number of the home-health hotline in your state
More about coverage of home health care under Medicare: Official Medicare Home Health Care handbook.
As a Medicare-Certified Home Care Provider, Comprehensive Home Health Care is ready to assist you in getting well, and staying well from the comfort of your own home! Contact Us for more information.